Tuesday 24 December 2013

Are We Nearly There Yet?

And the answer to that is 'Yes we nearly are!' In fact, had it not been for the Christmas Maddess that descends every year, we probably would be finished by now. Incredible! A Miracle - but then again it is THAT time of year!

Before we start though, the thought for the day is 'Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift'.  Perhaps we should remember that more. I certainly intend to try. Our song for the day? How could it not be 'I Believe in Father Christmas'.  My all time favourite Christmas song. Greg Lake in case you're wondering.

Now this is just a mini-blog, as I'm VERY busy, you understand. Doing all that Christmassy stuff.  I've done my shopping, wrapped that that needs wrapping, posted everything that needs posting.  Those who didn't receive either a card or my customary missive have either been severely lacking in the communication department, or I just feel enough is enough, and so you have been struck. If you really want my missive, I'll perhaps put it up on this later. I've done the decorations, fetched the turkey and made the puddings. In fact Thom and I have spent the afternoon injecting profiteroles (yes I did make them myself -choux pastry is very easy), the chocolate marquise is ready - nearly didn't get one this year, boudoir biscuits are difficult to track down and a pain to make! So that's VERY busy for those of you who wonder!  Esmerelda (the pet turkey) is still in hiding, but we expect to see her on Thursday.

So back to the house. We are nearly there. The carpets go down on 9th Jan, then it's dressing and on the market. Hurrah!  I still have to finish the front room, and paint the big porch.  But it's always the last few miles which seem the longest isn't it?  Meanwhile, here's the outside



Looks a lot better doesn't it? When we're done, I'll do a 'Spot the Difference' competition for you!  So that's your taster for how the inside will have changed!  Can you bear the anticipation? Well you'll just have to!

So what else is new? We have a new stove at home, so now the lounge is actually usable at this time of year. Not that it's that cold just now, but gone are the days of not being able to watch the telly because the breath in front of your face obscures the view!  And the chimney draws properly now, so no more smelling like a bonfire either. Only taken 15 years to sort out!  Lovely and toasty now though! Still not quite enough to relinquish my blanket however!



All the boys are home now, so it's lovely to see them, catch-up on all their news. Remember quite how noisy 3 boys can be, no matter how old they are. The petrol pixie has been a frequent visitor since Joe has returned, and I am relegated to the Land Rover.  Full winter gear is required when driving.  Heaters are obviously a modern invention.  The head chappie came to see Joe yesterday.  He was trying to find out if, indeed, anything goes on inside Joes' head.  I think he'll be looking for quite a while, and then be sadly disappointed.  A story we're all familiar with, eh girls?!

So this time of year is about friends and family, and we had a lovely evening with Deb and Shaun last night.  All of Debs family were there, although Dawn seemed to be more jet-lagged, having just flown down from Aberdeen, than Derek was, having just flown in from Malaysia.  Ah, the trials and tribulations of international travel!  Fab evening though, we even played a game and Dawns inspired miming ensured victory for us girls!  I only had one weepy moment, my first in a while so we are getting there, just in more ways than one!  Anita and I are all set for our international adventure.  I don't think jet lag will be an issue, at least on the way out.  I think it may be a different issue on the way back!  Let's hope the snow is good, we're looking forward to the champagne reception. Not sure about the rest of it though!  Hoping for good apres!

But enough! This is a mini-blog!  So here's wishing you all a fantastic Christmas, enjoy the company, make the most of those that you are with and the time you are with them. Shall we have a bit of Noddy to play us out? or would you prefer a bit of Pharrel?  Which ever, or what ever  HAVE FUN! Live, Love, Laugh. x


HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment