Friday 25 October 2013

Once More Into the Fray Dear Friends!

Yes, I know I've been unusually quiet for the past week or so, but I've been hoping for exciting news.  So, our thought for the day is 'pressure and stress are what you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing' and our song or songs for the day are 'Roar' Katy Perry, and 'Tubthumping' Chumbawamba. I thought I'd treat myself to two today, but they both have similar themes!

So what's been happening since I last wrote? Well, we were all very fed up after the burglary.  Phil, the plastered was more upset about losing his DAB site radio than his drills, so in the spirit of consolation Deb and I bought him a new one.  He couldn't believe it!  His little face was a picture to behold. His wife wasn't so impressed, mind!  We're also going to help John replace some of his stuff as well.

Most of the plastering has been completed now. With the exception of the back hall, where the on going saga of the shared water supply is threatening to cause some very bad cutting off type behaviour from me.  I am trying to resist but, as many of you know, my resistance to bad behaviour, together with  resolve to be sensible, is very low this year.  In fact it has slipped so many times this year that is now almost acceptable behaviour!


The rain stopped play on our adventure play equipment for most of the week, but the impressive hole in the roof has been fixed, as you can see, and I've painted the guttering and first and second floor windows on the outside.  John has done a fantastic job of restoring them.  He's even managed to preserve some of the lovely original glass. All of the stained glass windows are still in tact, you'll be pleased to hear!


Don't you think the view from the attic is lovely? You can see right out to the Beacon. Fabulous!

I think Deb and I have hit that 'mid-project depression' stage.  You know the one, it looks worse now than before we started, and the end seems along way off.  To be fair, we've both had quite a lot of other stuff thrown at us aside from this.

I have now successfully knackered three cars this year. The Izusu - it's brain died so it had to be scrapped, the white van - one attempted write off, second spectacular, complete and utter write off, and now the Alpha. You know the one, it's red and makes me drive too fast, so I have accumulated more speeding points than I've ever had!  So what have I done to this lovely car? I merely took it to the garage and filled it with unleaded, as you do. It said unleaded on the pump.  It said unleaded on the receipt. Sadly nobody had told the tanker driver that's what it said. He filled the pump with diesel.  Did you know that petrol engines don't run terribly well on diesel?   What a saga.  Hopefully it will be back to normal soon! Murco are footing the bill.  Thank God for the Land Rover, with it's new low-profile tyres (?!) it's even safe to drive in the wet! If a little damp!

Deb and I have had some very good ebay purchases, and we found a beautiful cast iron fireplace by the side of the road (as you do!), so that will do nicely for the bedroom.  We did put 30 quid through the letter box of the house nearest the fireplace - just so as you're all clear that Deb and I haven't turned into tinkers!  We are struggling a bit with the style we want for the kitchen, but today I marked it all out on the wall and floor so I think we've sorted it now.  Just got to buy one!

I find the rain particularly difficult at this time of the year, together with the dark mornings, so to cheer myself up I've indulged in some retail therapy.  Yes my guilty pleasure (or should that be secret?).  It lies beneath these very attractive work clothes and sturdy boots. Lurking. Ready to surprise the unsuspecting. What is it you cry? That's right, really lovely underwear!  I wasn't sure at first about this particular purchase, it is really rather red.  But is does have both sufficient crane-age and scaffolding to meet my requirements and preferences. The knickery type things are a wonder to behold! As tights are not my thing (aren't you glad I told you that?!), every time I wear stockings I have to go through the whole 'suspender under the knickers' (for speedy exit) versus 'suspender over the knickers' (for the dying for the loo challenge) conundrum. But these knickers combine the two! Knicenders? Suspickers? The suspendery type bit is attached to the knicker itself, so no dilemma. Marvellous! I have yet to see if the result is similar to the 'tight slippage and migration' problem known to all us girls.  Could be very unpleasant for all concerned. However, both bits also go rather well with some other very patriotic underwear that I have in my possession, so I can mix and match!  All rather splendid I thought!  But enough of that, don't want to give any of you palpitations.

I also thought I deserved a day off from all the hard labour (???!!). So Alf and I booked into the Snowdome for an intensive (and very expensive) 'Learn to Snowboard in Day' thing.  I wouldn't say I was a natural snowboarder.  I don't think the instructors would say that either.  I can go forwards down a slope. Going backwards (why?) makes me crash into a wall, gracefully, you understand, and I feel that turning is strictly unnecessary!  Having spent 8 hours (8 hours? I ask you!) attempting this feat, I was told that I'd only reached level 2. That's one above the lesson that starts 'This is a snowboard, you stand on it and slide'.  I rather feel that Apres Ski is more my thing!  Alf was quite good though.  We were both absolutely exhausted by the time we'd finished. Standing and walking have been a bit of a challenge ever since!

Anyway, look, back to the house! Stop distracting me with irrelevant detail and tales of other things!  Today we started painting inside, ceilings and walls. We've chosen the paint colours. No prizes for guessing. Gauze. Sense of deja vu anyone?  For those pedants amongst you, yes the plaster is dry. We have a excellent heating system.  Have you heard the joke about the pedant who was on trial in court? He got off on a technicality!!  HaHa! Just thought I'd throw that in. We've bought the tiles for the bathroom.  Chris will be back next week to lay them.  Hopefully I'll get a kitchen tonight.

Other news (can there be any more?), contain yourselves now!  Beat My Build is due to start airing on 4th Nov, 11 am Channel 4.  Has anyone from Lion TV or Channel 4 told me that? No. Communication is possibly not really their thing, but twitter is quite reliable.  That and the TV listings.  Possibly they've also joined the 'Let's not communicate with Sue' club. It's a small (possibly only two members so far, that I'm aware of), but rapidly expanding club. Let me know if you wish to join. I'm excellent at inadvertent enragement, it's a skill I'm very proud of. Or mild to general irritation.  I can also do direct pissing off if I try hard enough. You have to choose one as your initiation to join.  Those of you who are already members, which would you say I'm best at?  For others considering joining, let me know which you'd prefer!  I am also aware that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. It is the highest form of intelligence though.  And that is the correct rejoinder.

Any way, at least the sun has temporarily come out.  We are beginging to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My mojo is returning. It's on it's way, it told me so.  Until the next time, keep smiling!!

P.S Thanks to all of you for reading this, does anyone know why some one in Ukraine might be looking at this? Let me know what you think of it. Constructive feedback is always useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment